Thursday, April 26, 2007

This is a test, this is a test of the marathon training system...

Today I figured I needed to "test the waters" and evaluate my "system status". I headed out for one of my medium distance run courses and half expected to make it short somewhere along the route. It was a beautiful day for a run, 48 F, and little wind. I took along my water bottle, which contains a mix of Gu2O with added salt. As I made my way up Woodland Ave. hill I felt pretty strong and had to hold back, not to push too soon. I have a few points in the route, as most of us do, to check my time and monitor compared to previous runs. One problem, it has been Sept. since I ran this course and cannot remember the splits! There is a section along Riley Rd. where I have been told it is a measured mile and today I ran a 6:21. This is about a hour into the run. It is here where I usually pick up the pace to 6:15 or 6:20.??? So, I picked up the pace from here and ran the last 1/2 hour at about 6:00 pace. My quads were a bit sore, but all else was functioning just fine. I always save a bit of drink for this last section as it trains me to drink at the quicker paces heading into the marathon. It is training runs like these that keep us crazy marathoners chasing the dream... and I'm chasing like a mutha!
Totals: 1:26:50 *new course pr, 13+ miles.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

Nice job man. It is so great when we have runs like that !!! Also HAPPY B-DAY MAN !!!!

Gregg said...

Kurt-
Happy Birthday to you as well. Keep on a Runnin'
Gregg

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are "recovering" and getting back to "pace"! I always enjoy your comments and look forward to your postings each day! Love your titles!!

Love your "M'