Sunday, August 17, 2008

Technology Advancements

It's amazing how much data is on the internet and how immediate it can be. When information doesn't show up when you would like it to the reaction is one of "pissed off". That is the case with the race I ran yesterday in Duluth. In it's inaugural year the 8K on The Bay went off without much trouble from a participants eye. There were a few things that I am sure the race crew will sharpen up for next year but for the most part a decent event. Up to this point I am less than impressed with the timing company they chose to use. (I linked them yesterday in hopes to find the results) The first detail I and many others noticed that tipped me off to think, "have they done this before?", was the narrow starting mat they used. We didn't have a huge event, I am guessing ~350 runners, but I am sure the mid-packers had a challenge waiting to get through the timing mat. It was as wide as one lane of traffic. The finish was the exact same. Interesting... But most importantly, how hard is it to get "chip timing" results up within 24 hours of an event? 

My run today happened after my wife was done which meant I headed out the door at 0915. I headed to the woods and did a series of loops in Rock Hill, followed Skyline to Kenwood Ave. and made my way to the woods of Hartley. On the Hartley trails I must have just missed a fresh skunk as I believe I ran over a pile of skunk piss/stink. When I got home I smelled like the skunk was at the base of our front steps. Yuk! Good thing I didn't wear the shoes inside. (can you say sleep in the garage?) Kari looked up some anti-skunk recipes on the net, and actually found them, and we treated the shoes and front steps. Much better!!

The run was slow and hot and I just wanted to get in some decent time to shake out the legs from yesterday. My legs and Achilles feel great and after running a "race" I feel like I can safely start upping the intensity of my weekly workouts. (I am keeping my fingers crossed)

Totals: 1:21:13  10 miles 

Weeks Totals: 45 miles
Years Totals: 1260 miles


No comments: