Saturday, August 16, 2008

Good For Four

This morning I ran the inaugural 8K on the Bay. The results should be up soon and you can find them HERE by scrolling down to Aug. 16th. The race website should have linked as well HERE.

The race went about as well as expected with my time being just a bit slower than I wanted. (isn't that always the case?) It's amazing that an individual that has raced as long as I have, near 20 years, can usually get a close estimate on what their performance might be at a given distance. Having said that, I estimated that I could run 27:15-27:30. The results are not up yet but I think I ran near 27:40. I ran very comfortably for the first four miles then the wheels and everything that holds the wheels on fell off. I was rigging so bad I wanted to walk. The good thing was the person in front of me and the person in back of me were rigging just as bad. I managed to hold my position and finished 3rd overall and 1st in the 30-39 age group. Not bad for only seven weeks of easy running and some striders. I have a long way to go in the next eight weeks as I would like to run 1/2 marathon at the same pace I ran 8K today. Good luck, huh??

Overall a very good race to test the system and a very good race that I will probably schedule into my late summer racing plans in future years. It was a bit of a bummer to have the "rock bands" out of commish as the rain we got zapped their systems. Within the first kilo of the race I heard some major F-bombs coming from one of the band members because they lost power... better luck next year.

Totals: 20 minutes of warm up.
               8K race
               12 minutes of warm down.
               ~9 miles for the morning.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I've always wished (in vain) for enough rain to wash out the bands at the Arizona Rock and Roll marathon. The cute kids on-stage playing brass and woodwinds would be fine and unharmed, but the metal-heads would be out of commission. Ah, that's the dream anyway.

Looked like a decent race, sorry you didn't get the time you felt you deserved.