Sunday, August 24, 2008

Croft Thirteen

I have ran this course numerous times in past marathon build-ups and term it a "medium-distance" loop. For the next few months I don't see myself running much longer than maybe 15-16 milers as I focus on the shorter distances. I think I can squeak out a 1/2 marathon using this method.

As for the run this morning, it was cool at the start which made for near perfect running conditions. I started out at my usual slow warm up pace and once over the initial hills found myself running 6:40 pace quite easily. I tried to back off to 7's but there comes a point where comfort zone is easier than forcing a slower pace. I managed to work the remaining hills pretty good before heading into the last three miles of the course. When I do these types of longer efforts I like to close in what would equate to marathon pace in the future. Today that effort was 6:00 pace for three miles before jogging the last three blocks upon returning home.

 I was very happy with this run for many reasons. My legs and feet felt great, even with a tight right hamstring prior to setting off this morning, the weather was near perfect, the fluids were settling well and the closing paces felt super. I need to be aware and cautious of this transition phase from base to strength phase not to run too hard early on. Just because one can run hard doesn't mean one should. Just like any phase of running, you have to progress through the phase. Should be fun!

Totals: 1:28:48  13.2 miles  (6:45 pace)  HR: 140
               last 3.2 miles (6:00 pace)

Weeks Totals: 57 miles
Years Totals: 1317 miles

1 comment:

Don said...

I do envy you the different trails and routes that you have found in Duluth.

Isn't it interesting that sometimes it's easier to run a little faster, when it's a natural pace, than slower at an unnatural pace?