Sunday, May 13, 2007

Loops, Loops, and More Loops

You can tell by the title that today I did loop courses from our house. I wanted to make sure I got decent fluids and gels on this run, but I didn't want to go on the course again since I did that last week. I started with the idea that I would do 3 loops of the same course but I needed something fresh to warm up. My first loop was on roads and on a downhill section of the SHT to Hawks Ridge. My first segment was almost an hour loop, good for a solid 8 miles. I then decided to keep to the original plan and do two exact loops to see how my legs would respond and if I was able to run faster the last bit of the run. My legs tired around two hours but ironically they felt better as I picked up the pace.(close to 6:15's the last half of the final loop) The course I chose today was much hillier than the marathon course so overall I was satisfied with this run, as it allowed me to simulate the feeling of fatigue in your quads during the last 8k of a marathon and still keep pace.
Totals: 2:24:55, ~21 miles. step-down pace at end.

No comments: