Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Great Tailwinds of May

Why can't the day of Grandma's marathon ever be like the weekends during May? Year after year, us locals can take just about any Saturday or Sunday and have that magical long run down the shore. Today was another one of those days. I decided to do an out and back from Fitgers (24 mile mark). My buddy Kooks joined me for the first 4 miles out as he needed to turn around because he is coming back from injury. On the way out there was a terrible headwind and my splits after dropping off Kooks were 6:40's. I ran to the 14 mile mark and turned around downed my Power Gel and a sip of Gu2O and got ready to hang on! Without changing much effort my first mile heading to town was 6:26. For the next 9 miles my slowest mile would be 6:12. Most everything felt pretty good except those damn achilles. They didn't get any worse than the way they felt after 6 or 8 miles, but still, I don't like it! More ice bath and stretching tonight. Even with the bum achilles this is the best long run of my training thus far.
Totals: 2:12:55 20 miles (first 10 1:11:18 second 10 1:01:32)

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Oh how I miss days like that. I especially enjoy the feeling when you hit the 19M mark back in town and can really let loose with the pace. Maybe this year will be the year...