Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Humble Pie was Served This Morning

Today was calling for a longer effort with at least 12 miles at marathon goal pace. The half marathon seemed like a perfect fit for the schedule. The Jim McIntire 1/2 marathon was this morning and was not an easy effort by any means. The temperature was near perfect but there was a pretty good wind coming out of the North/Northeast which made for some tough miles. I started just a bit quick with a 5:43 first mile, but soon set into the pace I wanted.(5:55-6:00) The wind was at the 9.5 mile mark and made for the 10th and 11th miles to be slow. I closed in 5:53 and 5:50. This wasn't a race for me, but I was a bit surprised how difficult 6:00's felt. I needed them to feel like walking in the park smelling roses. Not the case. The conditions were far from perfect, the course is hilly, and I ate somewhat questionable pasta last night. These are the excuses I am grasping with all my might, and hoping that June 16th will be on my side, as I have a lot of work to do and only 3 beneficial weeks left to the big race. On an up note, my Achilles felt great, but my left calf had a bit of cramping in the late miles.

Totals: 1:18:31, 13.1 miles (3rd overall, 1st in age) Miles for the day: 16.5 miles.

No comments: