Saturday, April 25, 2009

Took A Chance

Last evening I made the decision to make an effort to drive and run the Get in Gear 10K this morning. I wasn't sure this was the best decision as I was still taking many trips a day to the crapper for  a little drizzle-fest. I was thinking on the drive down of when my last major "meal" was and it was too long to remember. All week I was eating "snacks" and attempting to find food that would keep the stomach rumbling to a minimum. I also consumed more 7-up in the last week than I have taken in the last seven years.

I woke up at Tony's, who was kind enough to allow me to pull up a piece of couch at his place, and was not feeling very race-ready. I did my best to take in the fluids but had no solid food up to the race. I was a bit worried of being dehydrated but it was only a 10K and I shouldn't have to worry too much. By the time the gun went off I was feeling pretty good and the legs felt ready to give it a try. Being in the "B" heat I had plenty of runners to keep me company for the first two miles or so and then I started to go to work. I managed to run my first mile as my slowest and string together a few solid, consistent miles to the tape. Not my fastest 10K, but I was pleased and it looks like I am headed in the right direction for June 20th. During my cool down I noticed the quads were a bit sore and I think that was a result of being a bit depleted and pushing the envelope a bit. I will concentrate on getting in some serious calories the next 24-48 hours and see how that helps.

Here is a breakdown of my race:
5:28, 5:25, 5:28, (16:56 5K), 5:27, 5:22, 5:21, 1:04 
*always feels good when you can neg. split a race.
16:56, 16:41 - 33:37  33rd overall, 2nd age grp.

Totals: 30 min warm up
               33:37 race
               30+ warm down
            ~10 miles 

No comments: