Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rust Buster

First running race of 2009 is history. This morning I ran the Fitgers 5K in what I call a decent result. Given the type of work I have put in at this point in the marathon build up I can be happy with 16:37. As much as I want to deny it, I am sure I am loosing my short speed in the legs. I would like to think I can make it under 16:00 again this fall  but hard to say. The focus is marathon training and thus I cannot expect to have fast legs right now. 
The race itself was a blast and we had quite pleasant running conditions for this time of the year. The front pack was very quick out of the gate and I used my Garmin 405 to keep my pace under control. I usually wouldn't wear the Garmin in that type of race but it was to my advantage not to go out too hard and hurt even worse the last 3/4 mile. Funny thing, I would have won the race last year with  the time I ran and this year ended up 6th overall and second in my age group. Nice to get the rust off and prepare for the 10k next Saturday in Minneapolis.

Totals: 9 miles with warm up, warm down and race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice run Gregg...see you next weekend in the cities!
Tony