Sunday, January 20, 2008

Warm Choice


Wake up Temperature= -20F air temp with 5-10mph winds= Run Inside.

I couldn't stand the thought of layering all the clothes and hope I could stay warm for my medium distance run today. Without the wind it is possible, but there is gusty wind most days and today it was just too much to think about. I put on a pair of shorts, shoes, headband, IPod and got my gels and fluids ready for a mental workout on the treadmill.

I did a bit of a warm up and eased the speed up to 8.5 mph for most of the run. HR=141-144. (i found it amazing that taking fluids or gels made my HR up 5 beats) As indicated by my heart rate this was quite comfortable. (i don't have a high max. upper 170's maybe) When I got to 11th mile I slowly increased the speed to 9.1 mph (6:35 pace) and ran the last 3 miles at this pace with a HR=151-153. I felt OK, but I also knew this wasn't a pace yet for me to run all 14 miles. For a treadmill workout this was more than satisfactory at this point in my training. I am just glad I didn't have to worry about poor footing or the air temps.
Tomorrow is back outside for an easy recovery day.

Totals: 1:36:30  14 miles

Weeks Totals: 55.5 miles
Years Totals: 161.5 miles

No comments: