Friday, June 1, 2007

"I need NOS..."

The ACSM Gisolfi 5k was this morning at New Orleans City Park, the location for the Crescent City Classic I believe? It was a humid morning, surprise heh, but I went into this race very concerned regarding my "no fitness" at 5k race pace. All things said, I was pretty happy with the way things unfolded up until 2 miles. I went 5:15, 5:12 for the first two miles then I got lightheaded, dizzy, and short of breath. I know what you are thinking,"it's a 5k race man, you are supposed to get winded." Well, that's right, but you have to realize that I am at a sports medicine conference and on Tuesday I had sat and listened to a cardiologist talk about exercising and syncope (fainting) and I didn't want to become one of his patients. I slowed for the third mile (~5:30) and finished 16:33. On my warm down I realized I have been running 16:30 5k's for nearly 20 years!!! I am not sure how long I will be able to keep that in my book, but I am hoping for some time yet. Back to Duluth today, I can't wait, I miss my little boy and wife and want to run on some trails.
Totals: ~6.5 miles 5k race 16:33

No comments: