Sunday, March 9, 2008

I Was Due

After having several days (near 16) of good to great running I finally had a bad day. A day I believe should be chalked up to poor nutrition on Saturday.  Breakfast was poor, lunch was OK followed by some deep fried apps. at a restaurant and supper ended the day at 2000 with a bowl of cream of wheat. Far from stellar. You really cannot afford to screw off like that when the following day is scheduled as twenty miler. I tried to do the best I could this morning by delaying the start of my run by over an hour and actually eating breakfast before I ran followed by a glass of gatorade. Too much too late.

I had a plan of running three 6.5 mile loops which would allow me to get in lots of drink and potential eats. I started the first loop and after fifteen minutes I realized a quick change of plans was in order. I added a extension to the first loop and made it almost sixty minutes, good for 8.5 miles. I carried a bottle and drank most of it, stopped at the house and slammed a gel and half of another bottle, made a quick change of clothing (I dressed too hot the first loop) and off I went in the other direction. By doing this I knew I could make my distance pretty easily I just needed to get myself out far enough on the route and all I would have to do is make it back to the house. That is where things started to get down right shitty. My legs/hips fatigued and my psoas muscle on the right side started to spasm. I did a quick mental check of form and relaxed and soon the spasm subsided enough to make it home. I didn't quite make the distance I wanted (20) but it was a run that was very important not to scrap. In the end I am glad I made it over two hours and hope to recover, rest, and have another decent week of base.

Totals: 2:10:00  18 miles

Weeks Totals: 74.5 miles
Years Totals: 443 miles

No comments: