Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Perplexed... Blame It On The Wind?

As I was waking up this morning I watched the morning news and Shannon said the winds were coming out of the NE at 12-15 mph. Having lived in Duluth now for the last thirteen years you would think I would know what that actually means in terms of wind "strength". To me, that doesn't sound like a lot of wind. Wrong!!

 As I made my way through the warm-up miles into the wind I noticed that I was still feeling a bit less than peppy. I tried to keep a good mindset and just work into the faster miles. First mile: 5:54, felt like a 5:40. I didn't have any better luck with the next two miles either. It was at that point where I decided to make sure I completed the workout based on effort and not to worry too much about time splits. I finished the so-called "tempo" section with the following: 5:54, 5:47, 5:48, 5:44, 5:25, 5:32

I had a very long three mile warm down to think about this workout and what it means. I am not really going to dwell on it. We all have "off " days and hopefully this was mine. I know I can hit the splits I was looking for and for some reason the legs, breathing, and conditions just didn't match. The only other minor problem I had was my lower gastroc's. (calves) tightening up during the final miles of the up-tempo. Stretch and monitor those!

Totals: 1:23:07  12.4 miles

No comments: