Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It Can't Be Right!

But it is. My HR Max that is. This morning was the chosen day since I woke up without the help of my alarm and I knew to see that as a sign. The morning was absolute perfect. A little moon light, no wind, cool and the track was clear. 

After warming up for a bit over two miles I was instructed to treat this test just I would a race. So I did. Complete set of stretches, striders, shoes tied tight, more striders, (I was really attempting to put the start off since I knew of the pain ahead) and finally a quick shed of the shirt and made sure my cap was on tight. After my last strider I knew I was ready.

The plan was as follows. Run a 800 meter all out and record the HR. Give myself a two minute rest (active) and then run an all out 400 meter. The HR at the end of the 400 would prove to be my Max. The numbers I would see shocked me as I figured them to be much higher. I don't know why I let myself believe this because I did an attempt at my HR max approximately ten years ago and I remember the HR being near ten beats higher than this morning. (it is said you loose your top end HR every year, thus the 220-age formula as an ESTIMATE) I gave it my all. My quads were burning, breaths at two or three per step. Yep, a real ball-buster. Here's the results:

800 meter HR 168 (2:19)
2 minutes of rest. boy did that time fly
400 meter HR 169 (no time recorded, forgot to hit the split)

I thought I would be in the upper 170's but I then remembered the HR test ten years ago showing my max near 180-181. So, I guess it makes sense. So does the "mini-test" I did last week and having me struggle with running the 160 and 170 HR zones. DUH! That actually made me feel much better about the test last week and will really open my eyes to upper HR limits of weekly training. I am a bit excited because if this HR training does work, and if I make the progress that a lot of runners make then the end result will really satisfy me. (those details of what the 'end result' mean will come later)
Man have I been over-training in years past. Amazing. The test wasn't fun. It hurt a bunch, but will be well worth it. 

Totals: 6 miles+ with warm up/ warm down and all.

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

You may not have hit your heart rate maximum in the track workout! I find that, no matter how hard I run, I don't hit maximum for several minutes - and I can't run that hard for several minutes unless going up a steep hill. When I tested my max a year ago, it was 178. I've been able to slowly get it up to now 182... increasing the max is supposed to be impossible.