Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Wool Socks

I was talking with my buddy Erik and he mentioned an old trick he did to help get over bouts of Achilles tendinitis. Ice prior to going to bed and wear a pair or two of wool socks along with amino acid supplements. I have been stretching like mad and wearing the sock this past week and holy crap, it is working! Tendons have very poor blood flow to them, so by keeping the tendon much warmer, thus increasing the blood flow, the achilles gets a chance to flush out all the "crap" at night. I also elevate my foot by using an extra pillow.

I woke up early and did an easy run on the Rock Hill trails and upper Chester Bowl trails. Given all the up hills my achilles did very good. I haven't had it feel this good since March. My plan is to run easy through the rest of the week and maybe try a longer run this weekend. When I ran this morning it was upper 70's and clear sky's. (7:30 am)

Totals: 35:05 5 miles

1 comment:

Don said...

That's an excellent idea! I have a case of P.F. and have been using heat too, but will use more at night. Happy running.