Thursday, October 30, 2008

You Suck Virus!

Tis the season for those nasty viruses. I knew something wasn't right on Sunday's run as I was hacking up some serious goop not knowing where it was all coming from. Monday was OK but nothing too special. Monday night I had a terrible sore throat which lead into Tuesday. Wednesday was a day of living in a fog. My sinuses were plugged and the headaches from hell. Today wasn't much better but the headaches are gone and I released one hell of a mucous plug on the bus going to work. Good thing I had a bunch of tissue with me, it would have been a long way to hold a lugge in the mouth.

This brings me to such a question. Someone once told me that if your "illness" is above your neck line, continue to exercise. If it is below, don't run. Not too sure of this old fable, but I haven't ran and don't think I would have liked to. Anybody out there with any slant on this topic?

I will run in the morning if the head isn't too stuffed up. I'm just  a bit bummed out because I was just on the way up,up,up in mileage. Oh, well, what's another week?
Here's to better running. Cheers!

Totals: 0 running  (one hell of a mucous plug release)

3 comments:

SteveQ said...

I think I caught the same bug, but with me the sinus headache lasted a week. I run with illness unless I've got a high fever or am already dehydrated.

Getting sick when you increase mileage might be a sign...

Dave Schuneman said...

Yeah, good luck w/those symptoms. My head has been ready to pop for the last 10 days now! If you find relief in something then please pass it on as this snot is unbearable.

Gregg said...

The only thing that "helps" these types of viruses are treating the symptoms as best as one can. For me, extra strength tylenol kills the headaches, and Mucinex D helps the sinuses. The only thing is it dries me out so bad I have to drink tons of water to keep up. I am feeling tons better today and will probably give running a try tomorrow.

Getting sick while increasing mileage can be a sign but not at the low mileage I am running. More of a coincidence than anything. My wife and child had it before me, so.... I was next on the hit list.