Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mid-Late Week Recap

Wednesday:
The day of tachycardia. (super fast inadvertent heart rate) I set off for my run and felt really good and the plan was to run upper HR limits for 8-10 miles. After about twenty minutes of running I just didn't feel right and was quite dizzy. I looked at my monitor and could barely see the reading because of a hazy, white spot in the middle of my visual field. It was about then I started to walk and finally focused on my watch to see a HR of 187! (my max is 169) Having seen a lot of different heart rhythms in my line of work I figured I had one type of fast HR and usually it goes away by itself. I gave a couple of quick coughs and tried running again and zoom up the HR went again. I finally walked for about a minute or two and then it dropped and stayed at 135. It's a good thing I don't have this happen often or it could lead to a visit to an Electrophysiologist. Not Me!!!
Totals: 56:28  8 miles (HR 136)  7:03 pace

Thursday: off  (my float day and I took it!)

Friday: 
Out on the Woodland loops to Arnold and Martin roads to Vermilion home via UMD. I felt really good after Weds. fiasco so that was assuring. Legs felt super!
Totals: 1:05:18  9 miles (HR 134)  7:13 pace

Saturday:
Trail running with buddy Rod. A beautiful sunny fall day that couldn't have been better for running. A bit of a "harder" run than I have been doing but overall very good. I didn't take any fluids and I think I paid the price by taking most of the day to recoup my liquid and energy stores. *my watch ran out of batteries at 49:00.
Totals: 1:45:00  7:50 pace HR 137+ ~ 13 miles

Sunday:
no running, but about 10-11 miles of mountain biking at the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. Lot's of rain. Downpour! Sorry for the runners as the conditions were far from ideal. Congrats to all that ran and completed this difficult race.
Totals: cross train on bike.

Weeks Totals: 44.5 miles (5 runs)
Years Totals: 1630 miles


3 comments:

SteveQ said...

You should have the irregularity checked, just to know what kind it is. Was the 187 constant, or did it fluctuate? I've got WPW a-fib and have had a HR of 280+ without any symptoms (other than the obvious). It's better to know than to not know and worry when things go wrong!

Adam said...

Hey Greg,
Shoot me an email if you're interested in a run, I'll be in your neck of the woods later this week.

Adam (harmer_adam@yahoo.com)

Gregg said...

Thanks for the concern Steve. I mentioned that it hasn't happened in many years and believe this is an isolated event once again. After talking with some of the Cardiologists I work with they too mentioned that if it occurs again soon it would be wise to get an event monitor on to see the "location" that the tachycardia is originating. Most likely some form of SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia). The less serious of many tachycardias. Nonetheless it sucks when it happens.

Adam,
I will be emailing you from work today.