Saturday, October 11, 2008

In-Tune






2008 Whistle Stop 1/2 Marathon:   2nd place  time: 1:14:53

As much as I didn't think I was aware of my body and pacing, I was pretty close. Unfortunately I was on the slow side of my estimations. It would have been nice to be quicker but isn't that always the case. I went away from the event pretty happy but know there is a ton of work to do over the next few months and also through the winter.

The day was near perfect with clear, sunny skies and temps in the low 50'sF. It had rained the previous days making the limestone corridor as packed as I have seen it. *I attempted the full marathon in 2003 and the gravel was so loose it was like running on beach sand. As the gun went off I knew the leaders from previous racing encounters and expected there to be more. For the first mile I went out pretty easy while talking with John Lindberg from Lake Nebag's and after seeing my fist mile split of 5:49, even though it was early in the race, I couldn't afford to settle at that pace and allow too much time gap between me and the two runner in front. Scott Chapin, a multi-sport athlete from Hayward WI. went out to an early lead in 5:20ish, while claiming he had only ran (4) one hour runs since June. I put the bull shit stamp on that immediately an called him on it. Running second was Adam Swank from Duluth, whom I had many run-ins with during local road races and the famous NMTC fall trail running series. It would take me five miles to settle and get past Adam to claim 2nd place before looking ahead and attempting to make my "run" at Scott some 50 seconds ahead. Miles six-eight were run in 5:35, 5:35, 5:34 and I was making ground very slowly. Mile nine and ten I had a rough patch and that sealed the victory for Scott. I had made up some ground and he put it right back on me up to the 11th mile. Finishing in Ashland was great and there was surprising many people out to cheer on the runners. I crossed the line 58 seconds back of the victory and I believe he put that time on me in the first three miles. Sometimes you gamble and let people go and catch them in the closing miles and sometimes you never catch them. I wouldn't change my strategy at all if I had to run it again. For some reason, I needed those early miles to "warm up" so I used them and it cost me some serious time. At any rate, it was fun to be racing again and to have control over the race and not let the race control me. Now I just need to be patient and get the miles and workouts in to ready myself for the next phase of training.

Totals: 14 miles 

2 comments:

Adam said...

Nice race!

Gregg said...

Thanks Adam. One of those races where I would have liked to have about a month of 1K repeats and LT work. It would have been fun to make up the ground and have a "race" at the end. Oh, well... many more to come.