Wednesday, December 5, 2007

It's Cold But It's Nice to be Running

Monday= no running, no work, had a virus that gave me terrible "butt pee"

Tuesday= no running, feel better but still agitated stomach

That brings me to today. I woke up and had all the best motivation to get out the door and get a decent run in. I looked at the temp and seeing the big 0 was not of help. I looked outside and saw the smoke from the neighbors roof moving horizontal off the roof, that makes for a decent headwind. I have been doing a lot of reading lately and included in the latest TrailRunner issue are several quotes and words of wisdom from the top ultra/trail runners. I like Eric Blakes the best. Titled "No Excuses" he is quoted as saying, "there's always time to run. if you don't think so, just get up earlier. stop feeling sorry for yourself, and just get out the door." This is exactly what I needed. I thought, "quit being such a puss and go run". I will keep reading this issue until I get into my routine if I have to. The other motivation is all the other blogger out there. Eric in Fargo particularly was of motivation with his good running lately. Keep up the good work Eric!

I wrote up a basic plan for myself by the month. I didn't get too specific for the individual weeks, but I have an idea what each month will focus on from now until the month of June, aka. Grandma's Marathon. The biggest change for me will be the addition of at least one ultra trail run. Looking at the "local" spring schedule I am thinking of the Trial Mix 50k, and possibly the Ice Age 50k. I have some more research to do before making my final decisions but both of those runs will fit into the 2008 schedule very well. (it is interesting how I go from not running to thinking of Ultra's...)

The nice thing I have going is the change in weather. It is now true winter. Not technically by date, but where I live, it is winter. I know my "winter routes" and snowshoe running is now in full force.

Getting back to this morning, I made it out the door and headed into the wind and finally making the turn at 25 minutes or so. It sure was nice to be running with the wind. I did a version of my Pig's Loop and the footing was wonderful. I didn't wear a watch and don't plan to much this month, as time on my feet will be this months focus.

Totals: 6.5 miles+ ~50:00

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Let me know what you are thinking ultra wise. It would be great to maybe go to the same races. I am looking into Ice age 50 mile but Wynn's new 50k in April looks good. Check out the web site.