Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dangle The Carrot

There are times during a runners life when things are not going too well, due to a number of variables may it be injury, lack of motivation, sickness, or just resuming training after a big event. I have been stuck in one of those "ruts" since the mid summer due to an achilles injury. Just when you are ready to throw in the towel and call it quits, ( "it's just not worth it anymore") , you have one of those days that allows you to get out the door one more day.

I had one of those days today and I am thankful. Having three months of complete shit for training, I may be turning the corner and "chasing the carrot" for a little longer. That "carrot" for me remains to be my marathon breakthrough. I know I haven't had that day yet, I am just hoping it comes before my body looses the battle with age. It's inevitable that those days are nearing but I am not going down without a fight. As far a marathon running goes, my body has not been subjected to years and years of super high, pounding milage. To this day, my highest milage week is 93 miles, and that was in 1999. I think it would be safe to say that for my last three serious marathon attempts I may have averaged 65 miles per week, (i just need to dig out the old journals to do the math), and that produced the 2:41:43 at Grandma's 2006. So, having days like today I can keep the motivation up and get out the door another day. My legs felt light and fluid, and the achilles was good, and the breathing was swell too!

My plan for the rest of the fall is to SLOWLY creep up the milage and do some hill work in November, December. Take it easy for a couple of weeks and then ramp it up for the build up for Grandma's. Yes, I am doing Grandma's again despite the weather and all the chatter going around on other blogs. I don't like it either, but what are you going to do when you live in the town hosting such an event.

Totals: 35:10 ~ 5 miles

No comments: