Saturday, April 5, 2008

Strive Scholorship

Amazing the difference a day can make. Yesterday I woke up feeling like I was on the verge of a major cold. During the day at work I slowly got better and by last evening I committed to running a 5k in WBL.  
After an early morning wake up, Erik and I headed south. I didn't know what to expect for pace, but I was hoping for a sub-17:00 effort! We did a warm-up and a short 3-4 min. "Jack pick-up" and soon it was time to line up. The field was rather small, but at least it was a field, and better than chasing Erik down "the shore" up in Duluth during a time trial. We opened in 5:19 into a slight head-wind. I felt like this was an effort that was sustainable for 2.1 more. After the turn, and with a slight tail-wind I expected to see 10:40-45 and was a bit stunned to see 11:00.?? I had a little tightness/pain starting in my left lower gastroc that was pulling on my achilles, but I didn't think it slowed us down that much. Erik was taking the lead at this point and pulling us to the finish. We passed 3 in 16:25 and he finished in 16:53 or so and me in 16:56. A 1-2 finish for DRC!

Totals: 7 miles (warm up, race, cool down)

No comments: