Monday, August 2, 2010

A Step In The Right Direction

Whew! Almost two weeks off of running, and though I know I didn't loose too much fitness, I feel like I am starting from scratch. Ground zero if you will. I made it out the door this morning and really had no prescribed distance or time and was just running by feel and was allowing myself the decision to turn around and return home at any given minute. I have done this enough though to allow myself at least two miles before making a decision. Sure enough, after a mile and a half things improved but the pace remained pedestrian. That's ok. I may remain at this pace for the entire week. As long as I can get out the door and begin to loosen up this week I will consider it a success.

The loop consisted of an abbreviated version of my usual Monday morning loop that took me through the cemetery, Vermilion road and UMD before making a couple laps on the track and returning home. My lungs felt great. My legs didn't. My sites from the surgery felt good. My glutes didn't. What does all this mean? I guess it means I am on the road to a good recovery and I have legs, and glutes that haven't run in a couple of weeks. Pretty normal I guess. That's it for now. Just wanted to update the fact that I am on the road to recovery and this time next week I hope to be getting back in the groove.

Totals: 41:21 5.3 miles (7:52 average)

4 comments:

Runningbear said...

Hi Gregg, good to see you're on the road to recovery. Reading your account of ER brought back memories of my partner's identical experience last summer. It made me giggle a bit too.
After a week of brisk walks he then started a bit of jogging and was quickly back into the training groove.
Hope all goes well for you. RB.

Gregg said...

Thanks RB. Why do we have appendix anyway? Such a waste of good training...

Julie said...

So happy to hear that you are back in action! Listen to your body and take care:)

Gregg said...

Thanks a lot Julie...you know it! My body is telling me to run slowwww. That is what I will do.