Friday, June 4, 2010

Good To Be Back

I had to put this workout off until Friday because of the added recovery from my long run on Sunday. Yesterday I was starting to feel quite a bit better and this morning was much of the same. The plan called for a nice warm up, 7-10 miles at "steady state" pace, which for me was 5:35-5:45 pace, then a warm down.

When I woke up I didn't expect rain. Last evening kept me way busy and I didn't even think of the weather and I didn't look at the forecast for the morning, I don't believe them anyway. The rain was a steady, slow drizzle. Not bad, but still present. As hard as it is, I try to keep a positive attitude towards "less than ideal" weather during my training as the weather may give you a challenge come race day and there really is nothing you can do about it. So, this morning I approached the rain as though it was race day. If we all wake up on June 19th and there is a steady drizzle what are we going to do? Stay home and be pissed off? Not really, we are going to go to the starting line and give it our best with the conditions we are faced with. Same with training.

The warm up was shortened because I had to report to work early and I was pressed for time. (as it was I got up at 0425 just to get out by 0500) After a two mile warm up I started to work into my pace that was going to last for 8 miles. I got the pace dialed in using my gps then I tried not to look anymore and just use effort. It worked rather well and I ran very steady splits for the entire distance. I had a few hills that slowed me down, but overall I managed to keep a steady effort and ended the workout very pleased. A warm down got me home at about 12 miles. Overall a very good morning.

Total: 2 mile warm up
8 miles at 5:45/mile pace
(just under 46 min. total)
2 mile warm down

1:21:00 12.1 miles

No comments: