Monday, September 14, 2009

Brutal Conditions

That's how I summarized Sunday's City of the Lakes 25K in Minneapolis. After two loops of both Calhoun and Harriet I was nearing the last mini-loop of Harriet and I was toast. I managed to hang with a group that was consistently running 5:40 pace and after the second mile I was very content with this pace. (my pace heading into the race was to be desired at 5:35 pace) Once we hit the final water station heading out to Harriet and pushing up the small hill one more time, the foursome was down to three as I was falling off the back like a caboose off it's tracks. This made for a very long and grueling three miles. As I went through the half-marathon in 1:14:46, I knew that running 1:28 was going to be more than I had for the day. I did manage to finish with a little up tempo for the final mile but barely. All I can say is I managed to change my perspective greatly in the last 36 hours. With a little rest this week I am hoping to hop back on the marathon training plan and get fit as a fiddle for CIM on December 8th.
Here I go again...

Saturday:
Easy running on the Rock Hill trails and small loop in Hartley.

Totals: 32:00 4+ miles

Sunday:
City of The Lakes 25K: 1:29:06 (1:14:46 half mar. split)
17th place overall
3rd place in age division

total for day: 16.5 miles

Weeks Total: 53 miles
Years Total: 1907.6 miles

No comments: