Saturday, January 3, 2009

CAUTION... Not Easy on The Eyes!

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND WHEN I GOT HOME.

(i encourage you to click on the image to get a nice, close look)




The week and year were off to a great start. (I've had this same story time and time again.) Then was today... 

Erik, and Chris were planning a nice snowshoe run from Erik's place and I figured it would be a nice way of getting in two hours of work and have great companionship as well. The first mistake I made was wearing socks I haven't worn snowshoeing before. The second mistake I made was omitting the snow gators. This would and will be the last time I ever make that mistake. The course was an out and back and had major elevation drop to the bottom of Lester Park. The turn was 6.2 miles. We stopped for a quick bathroom break, gels, and fluids and I realized my shoes were iced up completely on the back heel cups and I had frozen my achilles. I couldn't feel them anymore, which would be the only blessing  of the day, and I knew I needed to get back to a warm house and shower. Third mistake... should have walked to the closest phone and call the wife for a ride home at the turn.  The return trip, mostly uphill, went quite well and I never bonked or anything near, and had good energy through the climbs. Finishing, I felt very satisfied and was ready to mark the run on the blog and call it a day.

I can only imagine that I will have to take a few days off of running just from the rubbing. My achilles actually don't feel too bad when walking. I had to go purchase some new "winter clogs" to avoid the heel counter. They do sting a bit, especially in the shower! Damn...

Totals: 1:57:01  12.3 miles  (55:02 down/ 1:01:58 up)



5 comments:

Adam said...

Holy shit Gregg, that's the best (worst) injury photos I've ever seen! With your permission I have to save that photo to show others.

ChrisG said...

Dang! And I thought watching you guys walk back into the warm house after the first 12M, while I turned around for another 8 more miles was painful. Sure, I had to deal with beer toting snowmobilers and mashed-potato-like snowmobile trails, but I think I still would have taken that over your nasty achilles. With souvenir's like that, I think you are a prime candidate for running ultras.

Gregg said...

Adam, go for it... this is what one shouldn't do when snowshoe running. Really need to wear some form of gators.

Chris,
It's a good thing I froze those suckers because any other time of the year and that would have been some serious pain. Glad to hear you made your 20. Your one tough dude.

Anonymous said...

MMMmmmm.... Makes me hungry just looking it it. I recomend Summit pale ale. 3-4 should be good for now. G

Don said...

I'm with G on the beer suggestion. Ouch. Heal fast! Warmth will help - keep it warm 24/7.

Thanks for the traction suggestions. I do need to get the YakTrax that you mentioned. Or, one of the guys I run with has screwed #8 by 1/2 inch sheet metal screws into the bottom of some old running shoes, which he uses on ice and hard pack.

Get A Grips - I'll check those out too.