Tuesday, June 10, 2008

R.O.M.

A medical term for "range of motion". That's what I didn't have in my ankle/foot. I saw a massage therapist today and after sharing with him my story regarding my achilles and lower leg he decided to "dig in there and see what I can find..." It was about two minutes into the massage and he figured out one major problem. No ROM in the medial (inner) part of my ankle. After rolling (spraining) my ankle to the lateral (outside) several times the muscles, tendons, ligaments were completely locked up on the medial side to compensate for the weakness and attempt to keep the foot stable. After a bit of ambulating this would tighten and pull on my achilles.
After 45 minutes or so of working on my lower left leg, and many times coming close to crying like a little boy (you DON'T say uncle to your massage therapist) I could tell he was on to something. I need to make another appointment and get some more kinks worked out. The good news is, he is on to something and I think it will work.

What this does mean is I am taking some serious time away from running and going to be cross training and get this thing healed for good.

No running today... will cross train as much as possible in the weeks to come.

No comments: