Monday, August 13, 2012

Need More Zip

In two shorts weeks I feel amazingly better but still have a long way to go. My legs are definitely feeling more fresh but have another gear yet to be uncovered. (at least I hope there is a gear in there somewhere)

I have made it to the track twice and performed some LT work on the roads two times. To test the waters I made my way out to Esko to run the Kristin Burkholder 5K. The race was organized well from packet pickup to awards. For a small town race, this is a must do! I didn't really know what to expect out of my legs and lungs but once the gun goes off I have one thing on my mind. Get to the finish as fast as I can. For me that meant opening the race with a first mile of 5:19. It felt decent but I was breathing a bit too hard for my liking. The plan was to slow a bit the second mile but when I did it was followed by a burst of energy that told me to stride out and push a bit more. After pushing my way through a second mile in 5:19 (i didn't know this until after the race) I just ran on effort and pushed as hard as I could without going into oxygen debt. So, that resulted in a last mile of 5:20. Pretty consistent I must say myself. Final time: 16:32.  I left that race feeling satisfied with my overall effort and where I am with my training. *my training partner and good friend Dave Hypo ran a very solid race and finished 5th in 17:25. Speed play works!!

So, last week got me very motivated and ready to tackle the rest of the fall. I think with a few more weeks of speed then sharpening I should be able to crank out a decent mile come September 9th. After that, I plan to add some medium distance running and more LT work in preparation for a fall Half-Marathon.

Here is the remainder of the weeks training:

Saturday 4th: 9+ miles with Dave w/ 2 miles at 5:30 pace in middle.
Sunday 5th: 1:05 downtown run and hills

Weeks: 54 miles

August 6-12th:

Monday: recovery 45:48  ~6.5 miles
Tuesday: 1:15:00  200, 200, 800, X 3  (32, 2:27)
Wednesday: 40:00 easy miles
Thursday: 0 miles
Friday: 55:00 Kenwood miles
Saturday: 5K Race 16:32, 1:05:00 total running
Sunday: 1:04:00  Park Point

Weeks Total: ~47 miles
Years Total: 1251.6 miles

No comments: