Saturday, April 7, 2007

Today I felt like "cruising"

For some reason or another, old man winter paid us a visit this past week and we are still feeling the effects. Still too much ice on the roads, and the windchill is more than I wanted to tackle.

I spent most of the morning looking at Jack Daniels and Pete Fitzengers training plans trying to figure out how I would jump back on the marathon training bus. Jack can get pretty technical, but that is his strength. His book can give a person a sense of where they are in training and how to adapt to your current fitness level. After flipping pages after pages I decided to just get a run in.

My only option at that point was our Pacemaster treadmill. I decided to do a little up tempo running after the warm up. The pace wasn't quick enough for true lactate threshold (LT) but I believe fast enough for "cruise intervals". I did a 2 mile warm up, followed by 6 or 7 (lost count) repeats of 3:00 on and 1:00 rest. This took me to 5.5 miles and I followed that up with a 1.5 mile cool down. It felt really good to run the quicker tempo. I ran them at 6:00 mile pace and the last two were at 5:52 mile pace. This was the workout I was looking for, as it allowed me to evaluate my ankle for next weeks plan.

Total: 7 miles 47:01, with cruise intervals.

No comments: