Thursday, November 22, 2007

Gobble Gallop 5k (I did it!)

Woke up this morning to temps of 12 degrees F. Not exactlly what you might want when getting ready for a 5k. I wouldn't let it derail me from my original goal of dipping under the 17:00 mark. It was quite a surprise as we have not had temps this low yet this year. I did my warmup and lots of jump-n-jacks and any type of movement for 45:00 before the race started.

As the race started I knew the first mile was fast. It is slightly downhill, usually a tailwind (as it did today) and all of the adrenaline pouring out. I held back as much as I could and hit the mile in 5:13. A little fast for my overall goal pace of 5:28. I did slow a bit in the second mile as my 2 mile split was something like 10:43. I was running with a masters man that had some credible times to his name and knew that I would have to get going if I didn't want "our" race to come down to a sprint. I decided to start pushing a bit harder at 2.5 miles and it seemed to work. I gapped him and just needed to hold on to the finish. I think my split at 3 was near 16:20 and it was then I realized I would make my goal. The finish was something like 16:50 and I was quite pleased. I think I was mostly pleased with running the middle/late miles a bit more aggressive and actually not having anything hurt. My achilles was good. My groing was good. I need to take this positive energy with me and start my journey for Grandma's Marathon 2008.

Totals: 45:00 warmup of several activites.
5k race/ 5k cooldown.
6-7 miles running

No comments: